Hey hey hey! It's Skinny-Larsen! :D (Everybody in the mission thinks I'm a twig... I guess they're right; I've gained a little weight though. :P)
This week is one of those weeks where I'm wrestling between what I need to send in my email to President and what I need to send home, and I feel like they're different enough that I can't just copy and paste things from either letter like I've done in the past... We'll see how this works out.So. This week's definitely had its ups and downs. Please pray for my companion.Our story begins last Monday: P-day. :) We had plans to go with the 4th Ward Elders to the museum in the COP: Canada Olympic Park. ...Unfortunately, it's closed on Mondays. :/ Instead, I went on exchanges with Elder Jacobs, and he, Elder Perfili, Elder Peci, and I went on a hike through the grounds of the COP. :) It was so cool!! Because the weather doesn't know what it's supposed to be doing here (Last week it shifted from -20 to +20 [I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit anymore...]), it was pretty much like going on a fall hike through Provo Canyon- Aspen forests and all. I'll get the photos from the others next week. :P That night we went to supper with the Stoddard's with Elders Jacobs, Thomas, Gibbs, and Rodriguez. That family's so cool!! :D We ate pizza, had a Nerf war in their house, and watched a few episodes of Studio C. Such a party.
Now let's fast-forward to Wednesday. Why? ...Most of my days are really... Uneventful? I mean, I guess contacting not-interested less-actives and angry people is sort of eventful... but not at all abnormal. :P Anyway, we had to move Chris and Kristina's baptismal interview up so they could prep for their family to come into town. So I got to be one-on-one with each of them as they essentially taught me what they'd learned to be true. The interview typically goes as follows:
1. Greet the individuals, get to know them, help them feel comfortable.
2. Read D&C 20:37 with them.
3. Opening Prayer.
4. Ask the questions!*
5. Fill out the Baptism and Confirmation Record.
6. Closing prayer (Usually by the investigator).
7. Go talk to the other missionaries.
8. Investigator pretends he/she failed.
9. Missionaries are devastated.
10. Everybody laughs. :)
All in all, I think Baptismal Interviews are my favourite part of being a missionary. I just love listening as they bear pure testimony of each question:
*1. Do you believe that God is our Eternal Father? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Saviour and Redeemer of the world?
2. Do you believe the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Do you believe that [Thomas S. Monson] is a prophet of God? What does this mean to you?3. What does it mean to you to repent? Do you feel that you have repented of your past transgressions?4. Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? A homosexual relationship?5. You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand of the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?
The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relationship outside the bonds of a legal marriage between a man and a woman.
The law of tithing.The Word of Wisdom.The Sabbath day, including partaking of the sacrament weekly and rendering service to fellow members.6. When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?...That last one's my favourite. I usually follow it up with "Why?", and the answers I get... they never disappoint. This time around, Kristina told me, "Now that we know what we know, we're- I'm never going back. And because I'm never going back, Chris isn't going anywhere, and as long as Hunter's my son, he's coming with us."
... :')Now you see why these interviews are my favourite haha.Anyway, both of them passed the interview with flying colours and, apart from Chris not remembering his wife's middle name (tee hee), the paperwork played out smoothly.
The next day, Elders Gibbs and Rodriguez took us to the library so I could design and print the programs for the baptism- I'll attach it at the end. :PThat night these Elders also came with us to teach Cindy. ...Okay, I just love Cindy!! After church last week, she'd been studying the Gospel Doctrine lesson (our ward doesn't do Gospel Principles... that's a different story), coming up with questions as she read the Book of Mormon, and texting us to tell us, "I am so looking forward to Thursday: We have had such good meetings. You truly inspire me!" ...She's awesome. :) We taught lesson 3 and it went off without a hitch. As far as the baptismal date goes... We're working on that. :/ Her son really wants her to wait until Spring, but she wants to be baptized sooner. Debbie was sick for this lesson and then didn't come to church on Sunday, so we've got some work to do with her.
Skip to Saturday The baptism. :) The Spirit was so strong!! And I haven't been so nervous to give a talk... Ever. I found myself feeling like Jacob: "Behold, my beloved brethren, I will unfold this mystery unto you; if I do not, by any means, get shaken from my firmness in the Spirit, and stumble because of my anxiety over you" (Jacob 4:18). Nonetheless, I got to stand and teach about the Gift of the Holy Ghost, comparing it to a trip we'd taken as a family to Timpanogos Cave when I was quite young. I told them about how the tour guide had, at one point, turned out all of the lights, leaving us in complete darkness. Then, after scaring a few of the tourists, he retrieved an oil lantern from a hook on the nearby wall. He lit the lantern, showing us the quantity of light the first surveyors used to explore the cave.
I related this experience in the darkness to our lives: We can wander wherever we like, but we don't know where to go. Occasionally, the Holy Ghost gives us direction to help us out, but as long as we're in the darkness, He can only do so much. However, through the baptism by fire, each of us is granted a symbolic oil lantern: The Gift of the Holy Ghost. This lantern can be our guide through life, but only so long as we maintain it. There are many factors that can influence the brightness, intensity and stability of the flame: Humidity, oil level, wick length, etc. The influence of the Holy Ghost varies in direct proportion to the amount of care we take to maintain ourselves spiritually: Prayer, scripture study, church attendance, etc. I included a quote from President Eyring, but... I don't have it with me. :/ To conclude, I gave them a hurricane lamp I'd purchased for them as a constant reminder of the gift they'd received. :)
Watching them come out of the water... Marvelous. So pure, so happy, so... Christ-like. :) I love them. I baked them some cookies and delivered them at the confirmation the next day.
Also, Cindy was at church again!! :D ...The ward really sucks at noticing when we bring someone. :/ I mean, we're sitting next to someone they don't recognize after we've told everyone "Cindy's going to be there this week!", and nobody says hello. Unless we do the awkward thing and go ask members to go talk to her. :/ Oh well. She's an all-star: She'll come whether or not people talk to her. :P
That's pretty much the highlights of the week... Elder Thomas got Salmonella on Friday, so we spent a lot of time working out exchanges with them haha. Also, we taught the first ever Gospel Principles class on Sunday!! It went really well, but... I'm extremely disappointed with our ward mission leader. I don't think he understands what his responsibilities are... I've only been able to meet with him twice. And when we report in Ward Council about how things are going, he's just as surprised as everyone else. :/ He's supposed to teach that class... But oh well. I'm just glad we finally have somewhere to bring "our" people haha.Well, that's pretty much what I've got to say... Thanks for all of the emails- they make me smile every week. :) I only have 8 minutes to write President, so I'll sign off! Love ya!
-Elder Jared D. Larsen
Monday, January 26, 2015
Week 100-Baptism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment