Background





Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 87-What the what?!?

A NIECE?!?!?!  :D D: :/ /: \: :\ :D :) O_o XD     \(O_o)/     :D

AAAHHHH!!!!  Talk about a surprise for Monday morning! Haha. :)  Naturally, I'm still feeling slightly anxious about the unexpected timing of it all, but I'd rather just focus on the fact that Leila's got a little sister to love, and I have another niece to spoil! ;)  She looks a little fragile for hugging, but if she's up to it, give Ellie a little baby hug for me, okay?

Wow... Just... I think that blows any news I have to share right out of the water!! So much love. :)  Buuut I know that mom wouldn't particularly like it if I didn't tell what happened this week haha.

Last Sunday, one of our Ward Mission Leaders started an initiative where, once a quarter, the parents of those serving missions come into our Gospel Principles class and give an update on what their missionary's been up to.  It was kind of funny- the dad who came in was told to take ten minutes, but he ended up taking over half an hour!

In his summation, he told us that his son had been struggling to find work in his area, so he'd sought counsel from his Mission President.

Who told him to be more like the Sisters. :P

So he and his companion went home and began baking brownies for less actives in their ward.

Naturally, when I heard this story, I thought, "...I like baking. :)"  Soo Elder Williams and I baked some cookies on Thursday during weekly planning.

And they tasted like cardboard. :/  Also, we didn't have enough brown sugar to make enough for all of the people we wanted to contact... So we went to SaveOn and gathered some paper plates and supplies.  On the way to the checkout, a member stopped us, noticed the brown sugar, and asked us what we were baking.  We told her, and she says, "Oh, well, you're going to need a good recipe.  I'll give you mine.  Actually, why don't you just come over to my house and use my supplies?  I run a bakery business out of my home. I'm there any time- just come on by!" :D

Soo on Saturday we spent three or so hours taking a crash course on professional baking!! :D  We made 18 dozen cookies, wrote notes to each of the less-actives, snatched some of the young men to come with us, and hit the road. :)  Honestly, we didn't think there was much success...  Until about two minutes ago when we received a headquarters referral from one of the LARC's, asking us to come back!! Life is so good. :)

In other news, downtown contacting on Friday was pretty fun: Three sets of Sisters determined they'd like to try "busking," which is a word they use up here for "street performing." Another Elder and I wanted to join them, so we sang hymns in one of the busiest streets, taking turns stepping out to talk to people as they walked by.  Surprisingly it was pretty effective!  It was funny how it actually sifted out the interested from the not-interested.  A couple people sat there and listened for quite some time, telling us that the feeling was very healing.  Definitely something we'll try again. :P

That night, I had supper with the Earl's! :D  I asked him if he was related to our Earl's, but, sadly, I still don't know where our Earl's are from... Edmonton maybe?

Beyond that, Sunday was pretty fun- I got left all alone for about half an hour. :P  Since we cover two wards, Midnapore's ward council overlaps with the third hour of Chaparral's meeting. And both Bishops complained that we weren't at all of the meetings. So Elder Williams and I worked out splits so that at least one of us could be at everything.

Unfortunately, our plans hinged on using this to re-activate one of the less-active prospective Elders in the ward as a temporary companion.  Aaand he bailed after the first meeting.  Soo Elder Williams got picked up for ward council by Midnapore's Ward Mission Leader, and I hid in the washroom until I could find someone to be my companion haha.  It all worked out in the end, buuut not having a companion was extremely stressful: I can't even imagine what that's going to be like!

Beyond that, not much happened: I now have pocket-sized versions of the Old Testament, New Testament, D&C and Pearl of Great Price to add to my Book of Mormon, so I can carry an entire quad in my pockets. :)

Elder Lauzon told me he went on a date with Josie Layton!!  Haha, sooo cool!  I love them. :)  I hope it went well- mom, have you had him over for supper yet?  He's totally willing. :)

Um...  I guess just keep me updated on Ellie?  I'll keep her and Kaysie in my prayers for sure!  The testimony mom shared about families being the greatest thing ever is definitely true.  :)

I love you, and have a great week!

-Elder Jared D. Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment