Background





Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 52-Halfway There?!

Well, it looks like this week I'll officially reach the point where I have less time left than I've served!  I'm just grateful that that means I've got a long time left. :P

This week's been... Well, a lot of fun, actually!  I always find myself lifted when I'm anxiously engaged in the Lord's work- even if it means tracting because we have absolutely nothing else to do.  We tore through our lists of potential investigators, and are extremely focused around finding at the moment.  Hopefully we'll be piecing together a member-missionary fireside soon.  It might also help that Church Headquarters phoned our stake and organized another stake conference: The second within two months.  There have been rumours that the stake here will split, but the Stake Presidency have stated that's not the purpose of the meeting: The General Authorities just want to talk to us.  I really hope it's about missionary work. :)

Okay, I'll try to answer the questions mom asked and still throw in some other info she probably would have asked. :P  Elder Fairbanks (who was born here) and I cover the Airdrie 3rd ward, which is the eastern portion of town and several outlying areas (Kathryn, Irricana, Beiseker, Acme, and Balzac). We share Airdrie with three other companionships: two sets of Sisters and another set of Elders.  In our district, there's us, the Sisters from 2nd ward, and the Elders who cover Drumheller (the most northern point in our mission).  Everyone's always talking about how small our district/zone is (the other district has 3 companionships as well), but it's exactly the same as any other district I've been in... So it feels just fine.

We email here in the public library (Which I hate.  They have this little box in the upper right-hand corner that counts down the amount of time you have left, and it gives me a little heart-attack every time I see it!!); it's actually pretty nice.  MUCH bigger than any of the libraries I've been to as of yet on the mission- but, again, Airdrie's just big.  As far as mail goes, now that I'm closer to the mission office, the Zone Leaders go and get our mail once a week- every Friday afternoon.  It's... weird.  It was kind of nice getting a stack of mail all at once! Now, it's kind of like if you were to open one of your Christmas presents every week instead of all on one day.  ...But people's letters are also a lot more current, which is nice.  I'll get used to it. :P

Haircuts?  Hm... It's been a little different everywhere.  In Sparwood, it was Sister La Barbera, Sister Jeffries, or Elder Downing.  Pincher Creek, it was always Sister Ludwig.  Because she's the best.  Man, I miss her... Tell her "hey" from me, okay?  And here in Airdrie, it sounds like most of the missionaries have just cut their own hair.  I bought a set of clippers in Sparwood in case this ever happened, buuut... I'm going to ask around and see if I can't find some more experienced hands. 
Our apartment is, arguably, the fanciest in the mission.  We live in the Bishop's basement, and he's a lawyer.  A good one.  Unfortunately, the apartment is a lot more fashion than function, and we lack many of the amenities that would be available in most other apartments in the mission (i.e.., shower water that doesn't give you hypothermia, study desks, and a stove)...  However, the granite counter-tops and stone floors help ease the pain. :P  The family actually left for Mexico the day before I got here, so I won't meet them until this Saturday; it'll be kind of sad to have them back, though.  It's been really nice to go upstairs after daily planning and practice piano on their not-quite-concert grand.  Their little kids might not appreciate that at 10 pm. 
I apologize for neglecting to mention my appreciation for your Valentine's Day package!!  D: I enjoyed every bit of it.  Here's a picture of my favorite part!
I meant to give the valentine you sent to Sister Butler (I thought she might appreciate it), but... I left it in my bag... So I might eat it.  Or mission mail it.  Whichever comes first. :)

Is grandpa doing okay now?!  It's interesting to think of a fall as a blessing, but I'm certainly glad they discovered the more severe issue.  I'll definitely be including him in my prayers.  Is there anything more I can do from here?

I'm certainly glad that Mom's enjoying her calling; I'm sure it's been stressful, but it also sounds like it's been a lot more help than not.  Mom, as I've been thinking about member-missionary work, I've realized that you've always done a lot- particularly in helping the sheep that have wandered from the fold.  I'm sure this skill is being put to good use at the stake level as well, now.

Perhaps my favorite experiences in the past week have occurred in the Bautista home.  They have some struggles in attending church, but their faith in Christ is particularly astounding.  They've got standing supper appointments with us for every Friday and Sunday, and it gets better every time!  They're from Mexico, but they left there well over a decade ago.  After several moves, they're here in Airdrie, where we get to benefit from the fact that they owned a restaurant in Mexico. Cow-tongue tacos, anyone?! Definitely one of the weirder experiences I've had; I could still see the taste buds. :P

Anyway, they prefer to speak Spanish, but their English is pretty good.  They speak English with us on Fridays, and then they invite the Spanish Elders from Calgary to eat with us on Sundays.  Because my Spanish is, well, garbage, I've enjoyed sitting back and listening, picking out what I understand.  Yesterday, after supper, Elder Fairbanks and I played Como Hallar Fe en Cristo (Finding Faith in Christ) for them.  After the movie, Sister Bautista began to bear her testimony in Spanish.  ...I understood maybe 1/64th of what she meant.  But I was absolutely amazed at the spiritual power that emanated from the words she spoke.  This might not be surprising, but, with tears in my eyes, all I could say in response was, "Yo no se como su hablar, but I felt the Spirit of it."  I proceeded to bear my testimony of the Saviour, and I felt my testimony of the language of the Spirit skyrocket.  The Spirit speaks in real, tangible ways.

Well, I should get going, but I hope to be able to attach a couple photos/sound files for you.  The sound files are recordings of Elder Heuer and I practicing the special musical number we performed in Sacrament meeting; unfortunately, I'm not sure which recording is actually any good, so... I'll send them all. :P

I love you, and I do sincerely hope that this week will be absolutely wonderful.

With much love,
-Elder Jared D. Larsen
Sister Huntley and I at the dinosaur museum!
Elder Heuer and I jamming out :)
My first day in Airdrie, teaching ESL!  Nooch, our investigator, bought us all cake pops. So good. :)  I think she's the one taking the photo, though... Sorry! 
The World's Largest Dinosaur 
 SIDE NOTE FROM FAMILY: We haven't actually received any of the sound files mentioned in this letters.  If we do, I'll be sure to post them for all to enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment