Background





Monday, February 3, 2014

Week 49-Thoughts on Repentance

"When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick out my chin - and grin - and say, 'The sun'll come out tomorrow! ...Just thinkin' about tomorrow clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'till there's none!"

...And that has truly been the motto of the week.  Woah, I promise it wasn't as full of doom, gloom, and misery as it sounds!!  Mostly, I've just found the focus and theme of this week to be "Repentance:" Both with those we've taught and with myself.

With transfers coming up in the next week, I'm feeling I'm fairly liable to be relocated.  That could also be because I had an interview with President, and it came up that I've been out 11 months (crazy) and haven't served in Calgary.  And he got a glint in his eye as he "Hmm"ed to himself.

...I think I'm definitely leaving. :(: -Emoticon of mixed feelings-  I definitely feel that I'm leaving this area much stronger than I found it, but we're only just starting to uncover it's true potential!  Elder Heuer and I have both seen the availability of missionary work in Pincher Creek go above and beyond what most people expect of it.

Anyway, back to repentance: Preach My Gospel (marvelous book; have I mentioned it before?) talks about it like this-

"Repentance includes forming a fresh view of God, ourselves, and the world. When we repent, we feel godly sorrow, then we stop doing things that are wrong and continue doing things that are right."

Pretty cool, eh?  Mostly, I've really enjoyed that first sentence- particularly forming a fresh view of ourselves.  I've seen so many peopled burdened down by sorrow, sin, and sacrifice this week, with myself included; and I've seen what kind of an effect it can have on self-image.  When we beat ourselves up, down, or any other direction, all we do is help Satan accomplish his end of crippling us for this life and the next.  When we come to the Physician, the only Healer with the balms and salves necessary for relief and repair, we send a blow of love back at the source of hate.

No matter who we are or what we've done, as we come to view our Father in exactly that light, we come to understand who we are- rather than "what" we think we are.  And the world around us changes.

...I wish I had more time, but I'm already half an hour over!! It doesn't help when we started 1.5 hours late... :(  I love you, and I'm looking forward to another week full of miracles here, knowing you're experiencing just as many back home!
Much, MUCH love,
-Elder Jared D. Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment