Background





Monday, May 27, 2013

Week 13-Constructive Criticism vs. Giving criticism constructively, Open House

Good afternoon, family, and a happy birthday to Kaysie!  Hopefully it's been a good week for you, because it's been a pretty great week for me.  With transfers fast approaching, it's been quite a rush to keep things rolling here in the Elk Valley!

I'm glad you weren't super-sketched out by that massive envelope just showing up at home! I meant to tell you about it on three separate occasions, and forgot all three times; but it sounds like my letters are in good hands, and I trust you. :)  It's also good to hear about Annie's new calling: She's going to be fantastic!  I actually received a couple letters from some special needs youth counselors and their buddies last week; it was unexpected, but definitely memorable and uplifting.

So you'd asked me last week if I'd had any thoughts on Sister Wixom's talk from General Conference, but I unfortunately hadn't had an opportunity to study it before then; so, now I can provide a little more insight.  Even if it's a little bit later than usual.

Due to the unique experience I have at this time to be with my "mission dad," when I re-read Sister Wixom's talk, it struck a different chord than I'd previously thought about.  I found that her talk seemed to be telling me all about the difference between "constructive criticism" and "criticism given constructively."  Often times, it seems people are all-too willing to give their critique on a circumstance and then just walk away, stripping the victim bare of the confidence they had and leaving them to "construct" the pieces.  However, the scriptures seem to offer an entirely different perspective on the situation.

I'm brought now to the letter of Alma to his son Shiblon in Alma 38.  I won't re-write the entire chapter here, but I'll tell you the pattern I see.  First, he lays down the law for Shiblon.  Then, he tells him how proud he is of him.  Next, he offers counsel and promises blessings.  Following, he acknowledges the shortcomings and trials his son is facing.  After which, he proceeds to bear testimony, which is the most important step: Finishing with more blessings.  When we offer advice and criticism, the same pattern should be followed, and we'll all find more joy and peace in life.
Well, I've got to get running, but I'm going to paste my letter to President Nicholas on here, too.  I love you, and have a good week!

-Elder Larsen
Hey, President!  Well, you get a semi-short email from me this week; after some of my lengthier ones, you'll probably be a little relieved! But here goes.
We spent a good portion of this week preparing for an open house at the Sparwood Chapel.  When I say "preparing," I mean that we literally visited every house within the boundaries of the city of Sparwood and gave them one of 1500 personal invitations to attend.  Needless to say, we were anxious and excited to see how many people would attend!
The members arrived early, prepped and ready to aid in whatever way they could.  Elder Lauzon and I had made cookies for anyone in attendance, and members brought other refreshments.  With much anticipation, doors opened at 6:30 p.m. Sunday.  Half an hour ticked by, and no one showed up.  The members, getting antsy, began dancing on the street outside the chapel, inviting any passers-by to come inside, but to no avail.  Running low on spirits and cookies (the members were a little hungry), we'd almost thrown in the towel when, at 7:45, Connie showed up.  Suddenly, everything was abuzz, and everyone dashed to their stations.  By the end, Elder Lauzon and I had scheduled a dinner appointment with her and one of the member-families, and she left.
Out of 1500 invitations, one person came: And she hadn't even received an invitation.  More than mildly discouraged at the seeming fruitless-ness of our labors, Elder Lauzon and I cleaned and locked up the chapel in solemnity, neither wanting to discuss the cloud of disappointment that had fogged our minds.
It wasn't until later that we started to discuss the blessings of the event.  In the process of handing out these fliers, we met a woman named Gale whom I will swear is a prepared person.  When I arrived at her house, invitation in hand, she invited me over to discuss with her some of the challenges that she's facing in her life.  She was unable to attend the open house (and her landlord doesn't want missionaries on his property), but she committed to attend church with us this upcoming Sunday.  When we met her at the Supermarket today, she invited us out for coffee on Wednesday!  Despite the "coffee" thing, we were ecstatic.
In addition, we talked to a former investigator whom, we'd been told, had dropped us and didn't want any further contact.  Turns out, that information was false, and we should be able to teach her again.  We also met another man who told us we could stop by any time to share more about what we believe.
But the success of the open house extends far beyond the non-members.  There were more members at this activity than the ward has ever seen at any "extra-curricular" (For lack of a better term) activity, and some of them were even from the outlying areas.  The amount of support we had was extremely astonishing, and it gives me hope for the increase of member-missionary work in the area.
In short, President, this week I've honestly felt like I've become a missionary: I don't just do missionary things.  It's a metamorphosis that has taken an excruciatingly long amount of time, but at this point, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  I finally feel like "Elder" is more than just my generic title; it's a part of who I am.  With transfers coming up, this realization will help me more than ever: But I'll always have more to learn!
Thanks for your prayers, President!
-Elder Larsen
P.S.- It wasn't short

No comments:

Post a Comment