Background





Monday, September 23, 2013

Week 30-Sing that Song, Ward Movie Night, Personalizing the Atonement

Well, it's Monday again, and it's my first blustery day here in Southern Alberta!  I keep expecting trees and fences to fall in unison, but everyone continues to assure me that this is absolutely nothing in comparison to the usual.  I guess I just got lucky for the past few weeks! 
That's nice to know Leila might actually know who I am when I get back!  I showed Elder Downing the video of "What does the goat say?"  We got a kick out of that one. :)  Annie finally took her ACT?! :D Congratulations!!  Let me know how she did!  I'm pretty sure a day doesn't go by where I don't think of an inside joke Annie and I have.  I mumble it under my breath, and my companions just think I'm crazy, but I don't care! 
We had a fun dinner appointment last night that made me think of all of you:  We were out at the Westrops' ranch for a great Sunday dinner when the conversation suddenly turned to their grand-daughter loving to sing the song "Castle on a Cloud."  After coaxing her for several minutes, the entire family and I began to sing the song in the hopes that she would join in.  She never did.  
Afterwards, though, one of the people around the dinner table asked me how I knew the lyrics to the song, and I got to tell them about Dad's love for Les Mis.  After asking me several questions about all of my musical background, they told her grand-daughter that if I sang a song, she would have to sing a song.  Meaning I wasn't given a choice.  Terrified, I began to sing "Bring Him Home" in an awkward a capella fashion, staring anywhere but at the people around me.  Upon completion, they continued to name bits of their favorite songs from Les Mis and The Phantom of the Opera, expecting me to perform them all to jog their memories!  ...I don't know how well I did, but it was kind of fun. 
After we shared our message and had a great discussion about virtue, one of the family members said, "See, now this is the kind of thing we could invite non-members to!"  I agreed, acknowledging this family would probably have a friend over next time we came, and feeling a sense of success in some form.  Who knew: Les Mis makes people feel more comfortable around missionaries! 
What else can I report today... Well, we had our Ward Movie Night this past week!  We've been handing out flyers and extending invitations to come enjoy candy, popcorn, drinks, and friendship as we watch The Testaments; all in all, it wasn't a bad turnout, but definitely nothing in comparison to what I'd expected.  Then again, when we had one non-member family and a handful of less-active members show up (with only a handful of families represented from the ward), I just had to remember how I felt about our Open House in Sparwood, and I suddenly felt a lot better!  By the end of the movie, everyone was in tears and, at the invitation of our Ward Mission Leader, I got to bear my testimony of Jesus Christ.  We're going to keep working with the member family who brought the non-members to see where they want to go from here. 
That night also signified the beginning of an exchange with Elder Atkinson, one of my Zone Leaders!  I got the chance to come here and proselyte in Fort Macleod, learning from a great missionary.  Those twenty-four Spirit-filled hours were exactly what I needed to kick me into gear here in Pincher Creek, and I hope to be able to apply all of the things I learned!
However, the most important thing I learned this week came from Sacrament Meeting yesterday; since I told President Nicholas about it in my email today, I'll paste the relevant portions here:

"Goooood afternoon, President! It's my first blustery day here in Southern Alberta and, despite the chilling effect, it's been a welcome change; actually, change in general has been a welcome thing this week.

For me, I had something change my outlook on the Atonement as I partook of the Sacrament yesterday. When the blessing was done and I was left to think, I began to picture myself walking with Christ through those final moments of His life. I watched as He fell beneath the weight of the sins of the world, and wept at the sight of His suffering, knowing that I myself have caused a decent portion of it. I watched as He was taken, tried, battered, beaten, and bruised by those to whom He'd been sent to minister, and felt wrenching pain as I watched Him take up His cross and begin the trek towards Calvary. Then, when He'd been lifted up upon that same cross, I stood with His beloved disciples and family as we saw our brother utter the words, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And then, it was over; He was gone. We took Him down from the cross and laid Him in the sepulchre, understanding not the saying that He would rise again on the third day. And finally, I was there with His apostles when He reappeared in His resurrected form, again working miracles among the children of men.

At this point, I sat there on our pew, fighting the welling tears as I considered what it must have felt like to truly be there.

...And then it hit me.

I WAS there.

We all were. From the Heavens, we observed every waking moment of our Saviour's life, knowing what impact he would have on those already passed, those present, and those yet to be. In that moment, in that chapel, I came to a realization that made the Atonement that much more personal, and made me want to share its influence so much more." 
That final portion reminded me of a promise made in Preach My Gospel: The more we learn about the redeeming love displayed when Christ performed the Atonement, the more we want to share it with others. 
In my quest to help all 17 million members of the Church become missionaries, this is the primary lesson I'll want to share. 
I know He lives.  And, while He lives, I'll sing. 
I really do love all of you, and I think of you often!  Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out! 
-Elder Jared D. Larsen 
P.S.- The next transfer should be on the 9th... I think... But I'm more confident in that than I sound.  I get mail at transfers, and then typically once more during the transfer as the zone leaders go to MLC once a month.  Sometimes there are other circumstances that result in mail (Missionaries going to Calgary for health reasons, meetings with President, further instruction given to Trainers, etc.), but nothing else overly reliable. :P  There are a couple members around here going to Utah for General Conference, so if there was anything you wanted to send, let me know next week so I can get a hold of them!  And I have no idea about exchange rates... Sorry. O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment